Come rain or shine, we always spend our summer holidays on the same island, off the coast of Scotland. This year I had that empty end-of-holiday feeling. I wondered if I was ready for the year ahead. So I asked myself some questions. If you’re a CEO coming back from a long break like me, you might find it helpful to ask yourself these same questions:
- Can I still remember all the things that were on my action list when I left for holidays?
- Have I stopped getting irritated by people not doing things for me instantly?
- Have I reminded myself of why I want to go back; to do what I do in the first place?
- Have I thought of two things I need to do that will develop my successor?
- Have I made one resolution that will improve my health?
- Have I had some of the conversations with the people who matter to me, which I could not have had when I was in a higher gear?
- And for me - have I spent enough time by the sea; watching waves crash on rocks, starring at the depth of the blues and gasping at the vastness of the sky? It keeps things in perspective.
Are these questions useful? Or do you prepare yourself in another way? Let me know in comments below.